Based in Utrecht, The Netherlands
March 19, 2012
Press / Business Contact:
3511 BJ, Utrecht
DescriptionAbbey Games is an independent games studio founded in 2012 and situated in Utrecht, the Netherlands. They devote theirselves to creating games full of original meaningful gameplay, drawing inspiration from classics of the strategy genre. Their first title, god game Reus, was released in May 2013 and has sold over 800,000 copies. The studio currently focuses on turn-based adventure game Renowned Explorers, out since September 2015, to continue growing the game and its community.
HistoryIn the beginning
Somewhere in 2011, four computer science students decided to team up and start a company. We started working on Reus in an old and dark university basement. We quickly moved to the Dutch Game Garden, the center of the Dutch Game Industry in Utrecht, the Netherlands.Reus
Reus is Abbey Games' debut. The idea of Reus spawned at the end of 2011. It would be an ambitious project, but also one we felt we had to make. In the flickering artificial light of the basement of the University of Utrecht, Reus grew from nothing to something. Its long development cycle is unique for a starting indie studio. Even though Reus' scope is ambitious, we felt that now is the time for a project that we are passionate about. During 2012 and the start of 2013 Reus and Abbey Games developed alongside to a product that feels complete and triggers our pride.Renowned Explorers - International Society
After releasing Reus succesfully and supporting it for roughly 5 months, we felt it was time for something new. Since it had been such an amazing experience to bring a new type of game into the world, we would like to do that again. After numerous days of brainstorming we decided it had to be an adventure, not only the immense technological investment of a new engine that we are developing the game in or the perils of coming up with a new design, but also the theme: It will be a huge adventure.
There are far more images available for Abbey Games, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Awards & Recognition
- "Best Indie Game 2014, European Game Awards" - Reus, 2014
- " Indie Prize for Best Desktop Game, Casual Connect Europe " - Reus, 2014
- " Control Industry Award 2013 (best overall), Dutch Game Awards " - Reus, 2013
- "Best Entertainment Game Design, Dutch Game Awards" - Reus, 2013
- "Best PC/Console game, Dutch Game Awards" - Reus, 2013
- "Nominee for Best New Media Award, Cinekid festival" - Reus, 2013
- " Nominee for Best Digital Communication, Dutch Design Awards " - Reus, 2013
- "Jury Nomination, IndieCade" - Reus, 2013
- "Golden Sushi Award, PAX Prime" - Reus, 2013
- " Nominee for Most Amazing Indie Game , A MAZE festival " - Reus, 2013
- "13th at Ludum Dare 23, silver medal in humor" - Tinytanic, 2012
- "It's a great idea, and the set-up suggests a light-hearted sense of adventure that tactical turn-based games rarely seem to pursue"
- Phil Savage, PC Gamer
...it’s an intriguing game of procedural exploration, with a few tricks concealed within its tactical trousers.
- Adam Smith, Rock, Paper Shotgun
Abbey Games may not be a name you immediately recognize, but its god game Reus received some much-deserved attention. The studio has announced its new project, Renowned Explorers - International Society...
- Jordan Devore, Destructoid
There are some truly brilliant concepts on display here, and this is the first fantastic god game the genre has seen in a long time.
- James Murff, Gamefront on Reus
[Dutch] Reus is een hele goede, uitgebalanceerde game. De makers begrijpen de essentie van een godgame als geen ander en hebben een nieuwe draai aan het genre gegeven.
- Pascal Badenbroek, Gamer.nl on Reus
Abbey's certainly proven they've got the salt to make solid games.
- Rory Young, Neoseeker on Reus
Team & Repeating
Creative, PR, Founder
AI, PR, Programming, Founder
Creative, Game Design, Founder