Based in Utrecht, The Netherlands
September 2, 2015
|$19.99 / €19.99|
Latest press release
Renowned Explorers: International Society
DescriptionTake command of a hand-picked group of unalike explorers and travel across the globe in search of legendary treasures while staying ahead of your rivals. Earn prestige in the Renowned Explorers International Society and become the world's most Renowned Explorer! Visit lost temples, forgotten cities and untamed wilderness to discover magnificent treasures. Find your way past wolves, smugglers and angry natives to become known as a fearless explorer. Every expedition has challenging encounters and your nemesis Rivaleux will take any chance to thwart your efforts. Select your band of adventurers carefully! Each of the 20 explorers has their own expertise and character traits when dealing with conflicts. Choose among Fighters, Scouts, Speakers and Scientists and find out the best way to use their talents. Acquire knowledge, get rich, or become famous by completing procedurally generated expeditions. Use these resources to get the skills, support and equipment you need for your next endeavor. Approach the natives consciously when running into a conflict; Fight them with Melee, Ranged and Area of Effect attacks; Win them over using Cheers, Charms and Compliments; Scare them away by Insults, Taunts and Humiliation. Every encounter is a new challenge with many solutions and it's up to you to build a reputation. Are you a diplomat, a schemer or a fighter..? Prepare you expedition for September!
- Explore the far corners of the world in the age of discovery, outsmart your rivals, campaign for fame and become the most Renowned Explorer of the 19th century
- Live your own adventures; get to know your explorers with their own character traits, skills and quirks, manage their progression while hunting for the most prestigious treasures
- Prepare your treasure hunt; collect insight, research, gold and status on your expeditions to acquire supplies and support for the next adventure
- Attitude-based gameplay; choose the best course of action by engaging your opponents physically and mentally using charm, deception, intimidation or a show of force
- There is always something new to discover in the thrilling procedurally generated expeditions, where your reputation opens up new opportunities
In 2012, four computer science students decided to start a game company called Abbey Games. Soon after they moved to their first office they finished their ambitious god game named Reus. Reus was a big success with 800,000+ units sold on Steam and GoG. This allowed Abbey Games to start on their most recent ambition; Renowned Explorers, a turn-based strategy adventure roguelite, built in a self-developed game engine: AbbeyCore.
With Renowned Explorers outperforming Reus in terms of player feedback (94% positive on Steam) and playtime (9.5 hours on average), Abbey Games decided to continue support for Renowned Explorers. This started out as a biweekly patch program throughout 2015. When the year was over the community had grown so much that the Abbey decided an expansion pack was justified. Renowned Explorers: More To Explore has been in the works since the start of 2016 and is now almost finished. It aims extend the game's replayability by dozens of hours by increasing strategic options as well as role-playing potential.
Renowned Explorers Launch Trailer YouTube
Renowned Explorers Release Date Announcement YouTube
Renowned Explorers: International Society Introduction Trailer YouTube
Renowned Explorers: International Society Early footage trailer (ALPHA) YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "TotalBiscuit's Top 10 Games of 2015, #7" Video on his YouTube channel. December 28, 2015
- "Best PC Exclusive 2015, Winner" TechRaptor.net. January 14, 2016
- "It's a great idea, and the set-up suggests a light-hearted sense of adventure that tactical turn-based games rarely seem to pursue"
- Phil Savage, PC Gamer
...it’s an intriguing game of procedural exploration, with a few tricks concealed within its tactical trousers.
- Adam Smith, Rock, Paper Shotgun
Abbey Games may not be a name you immediately recognize, but its god game Reus received some much-deserved attention. The studio has announced its new project, Renowned Explorers - International Society...
- Jordan Devore, Destructoid
About Abbey Games
Abbey Games is an independent games studio founded in 2012 and situated in Utrecht, the Netherlands. They devote theirselves to creating games full of original meaningful gameplay, drawing inspiration from classics of the strategy genre. Their first title, god game Reus, was released in May 2013 and has sold over 800,000 copies. The studio currently focuses on turn-based adventure game Renowned Explorers, out since September 2015, to continue growing the game and its community.
More information on Abbey Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Renowned Explorers: International Society Credits
Tim de Jager
Yuri van Geffen
Joni van der Leeuw
Yme de Jong