Based in Utrecht, The Netherlands
May 16, 2013
DescriptionIn Reus, you control powerful giants that help you shape the planet to your will. You can create mountains and oceans, forests and more. Enrich your planet with plants, minerals and animal life. There is only one thing on the planet that you do not control: mankind, with all their virtues and and all their vices. You can shape their world, but not their will. Provide for them and they may thrive. Give them too much and their greed may get the upper hand.
- Control four mighty giants, each with their unique abilities
- Terra-form the planet to your will, experiment with different terrain types
- A complex system of upgrades and synergies allows for endless styles of play
- Observe humanity, let your giants praise or punish them
- Enjoy an interesting art style and a strong soundtrack
- Enrich the planet with over 100 plants, animals and minerals
- Unlock new content by helping humanity achieve numerous developments
HistoryReus is Abbey Games' debut. The idea of Reus spawned at the end of 2011 and incubated in the dungeons of the Utrecht University. It would be an ambitious project, but also one we felt we had to make. In the flickering artificial light of the basement, Reus grew from nothing to something. Its long development cycle is unique for a starting indie studio. Even though Reus' scope is ambitious, we felt that now is the time for a project that we are passionate about. During 2012 and the start of 2013 Reus and Abbey Games developed alongside to a product that feels complete and triggers our pride.
Awards & Recognition
- "Best Indie Game, European Game Awards" Berlin, 9 april ,2014
- "Indie Prize for Best Desktop Game, Casual Connect Europe" Amsterdam, 13 february, 2014
- "Control Industry Award 2013 (best overall) Dutch Game Awards" Amsterdam, 19 november, 2013
- "Best PC/Console game Award, Dutch Game Awards" Amsterdam, 19 november, 2013
- "Best Entertainment Game Design Award, Dutch Game Awards" Amsterdam, 19 november, 2013
- "Nominee for Best New Media Award, Cinekid festival" Amsterdam, 25 october, 2013
- "Nominee for Best Digital Communication, Dutch Design Awards" Amsterdam, 19 october, 2013
- "Jury Nomination, IndieCade 2013" Los Angeles, 6 october, 2013
- "Golden Sushi Award, PAX Prime 2013" Seattle, 2 september, 2013
- "Nominee for Most Amazing Indie Game 2013, A MAZE festival" Berlin, 26 april, 2013
- "Oh, and I guess it also looks like an utterly magnificent god game, a rare breed in these dark modern days."
- Nathan Grayson, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "Reus looks like it could be a little gem of 2013"
- Patrick Dane, Whatculture!
- "There are some truly brilliant concepts on display here, and this is the first fantastic god game the genre has seen in a long time."
- James Murff, Gamefront
- "Reus is a game of logical, organic systems presented as simply as possible. It's a delight to play at every turn, and it strikes the perfect balance between providing new content and not overloading players."
- Fraser Brown, Destructiod
- "Reus is a new ‘god’ game with a divergent, yet wonderfully pleasing look and feel to it. "
- , Indiegamereviewer
- "Reus looks like a game, but it’s actually a machine of interlocking systems, and the fun comes from figuring out which levers to pull."
- James, Hardcoregamer
- "Reus, playing God rarely looks this cute."
- John Polson, Indiegames
About Abbey Games
Abbey Games is an independent games studio founded in 2012 and situated in Utrecht, the Netherlands. They devote theirselves to creating games full of original meaningful gameplay, drawing inspiration from classics of the strategy genre. Their first title, god game Reus, was released in May 2013 and has sold over 800,000 copies. The studio currently focuses on turn-based adventure game Renowned Explorers, out since September 2015, to continue growing the game and its community.
More information on Abbey Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
PR, Programming, Lead Artist
Programming, Lead PR
Yme de Jong
Joni van der Leeuw
Tim de Jager